The Oil Region Historic Preservation Awards, first given in 1997, honor and encourage preservation.
The awards program was created to: recognize projects that represent appropriate standards of preservation, restoration and rehabilitation; acknowledge individuals and groups for initiatives, services, or commitment to the preservation of historic structures; to create an advocacy for historic preservation through a greater public awareness of the built environment; and to enhance a region-wide preservation ethic in both the public and private sectors.
Sponsors of the awards are:
- Crawford County Historical Society
- Friends of Drake Well
- Oil City Heritage Society
- Historic Franklin Preservation Association
- Oil Region Alliance of Business, Industry & Tourism
- Titusville Historical Society
- Titusville Renaissance Inc.
- Venango County Historical Society
- Venango Museum of Art, Science & Industry
Each sponsoring organization pays a small fee and also provides a judge for the team which reviews submitted nominations (especially “before” and “after” photographs or other documentation), examines the relative merit of each nomination in relation to the eligibility criteria, and decides which nominees should receive awards.
Awards may be presented in the following categories:
- Adaptive Reuse – A process that adapts buildings for new uses while retaining their historic features.Rules:
- Enhancement Projects – Restoration and/or rehabilitation of exterior elements and appropriate use of colors, signs, awnings, and other exterior amenities.
- Preservation Education/Initiative – Service or commitment by an individual, group, or business which promotes the preservation of the built environment.
- Preservation Stewardship – Sensitive long-term care of an historic structure.
- Reconstruction – Restoration or substantial rehabilitation of an historic building.
- Residence – Restoration or rehabilitation of historic single or multifamily residences.
- Structure – Restoration or rehabilitation of an historic resource that is not a building. Example: bridges, fountains, gardens, statues, etc.
- Any individuals and structures in the Oil Heritage Region are eligible. This includes all of Venango County, the City of Titusville, the Borough of Hydetown, and Oil Creek Township in Crawford County.
Eligible structures include commercial, residential, industrial, public, religious, or other properties.
- Structures must be at least 50 years old. They need not qualify for “National Register” listing but must be of recognized historical or architectural value. Interior work in public buildings and/or exterior work is eligible.
- Construction or enhancement projects must have been completed in the last five years to be eligible.
- Once a project has received a Historic Preservation Award, it is not eligible to receive another award for five years.
- Awards are announced in April and presented in May, which the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has designated as Preservation Month.
The Nomination Form for the next round of Historic Preservation Awards will be available here beginning in March.
Congratulations to the 2023 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
Vintage Wings, Inc. for the Reconstruction of the Beach City Baby
The 1941 DC-3 was used in military service during WWII then as the official transport of the governor of Ohio. Abandoned since 1983, Vintage Wings President and Founder Jason Capra discovered the plane in Beach City, Ohio and set out to restore it. With the help of volunteers, donors, and a few corporate sponsors, the plane was restored in just more than three years. In 2022, the Beach City Baby visited several airshows with a mission of educating the public via living history re-enactments.
Carole Hall for Preservation Education/Initiative
Carole Hall was nominated by the Titusville Historical Society for her commitment to the historic education of the region including work as the Education Coordinator at Drake Well Museum and Park where she began their Docent Program with Titusville schools, developed History Camps for kids and adults, and planned the March Lecture Series. She has portrayed Ida Tarbell on numerous occasions and initiated and continues to be active in awarding the Ida Tarbell Award given to a graduating Titusville High School girl. She is an energetic, optimistic, and encouraging volunteer who exemplifies dedication to education, civic duty, and investment in future generations through her work with the Titusville Historical Society, the Oil Region Alliance, Drake Well, and other organizations and efforts.
Deep Harbour Properties for the Enhancement of the Lamberton Building in Franklin
Deep Harbour Properties repaired and painted the main entrance to the Lamberton Building that faces 13th Street in Franklin with a nod to the style of the past.
PennDOT and PA DCNR for the Messerall Bridge in the Structure Category
Titusville Renaissance, Inc. nominated the Messerall Bridge for a Historic Preservation Award because PennDOT and DCNR moved the long-abandoned bridge from Oil Creek Township, Crawford County, rehabilitated it using about 75% of the original materials, and relocated it to Pymatuning State Park in Western Crawford County to close a trail gap.
Gregory Rock & Aimé Sposato Rock for the Reconstruction of the Rocsato Conservatory of Music at Hillhurst in Titusville
Titusville Renaissance, Inc. nominated the Reconstruction of the Rocsato Conservatory of Music, which included repairs to the roof and windows, cosmetic changes to floors and wall coverings, and adapting the first floor to create teaching and performance spaces as well as the residential space above.
Chris and Jenn Morrison for their Enhancement of the Former Salvation Army Building in Franklin
Franklin Preservation nominated the Enhancement of the Former Salvation Army Building in Franklin. Owners Chris and Jenn Morrison had the masonry cleaned and repointed, replaced the roof, rebuilt the garage, and added awnings to the building where they have relocatedtheir business Vino and Vibes in the building.
Reconstruction of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church in Oil City
Nominated by parishioner Debbie Sobina, the Reconstruction of St. Joseph’s Church is recognized for work completed between January and October 2022 that included heating and cooling updates, new light fixtures, new marble flooring, new wainscotting, and repair of columns, stained glass windows, and pews. Eight medallion murals were fabricated, hand-painted, and installed on the transept to recapture the original design in the sanctuary.
Robert Billingsley and Carolee Michener for Historic Appreciation of the World War I Memorial in Franklin
Nominated by the Venango County Historical Society, the World War I Memorial outside the Venango County Courthouse is recognized for Historic Appreciation. The project was led by Robert Billingsley and the late Carolee Michener who researched newspapers, enlistment and medical records, public input to compile the names that Franklin Granite and several contractors would engrave on this monument. The two walls create a trench symbolic of those dug by soldiers on the frontline during the war. The monument was dedicated Veteran’s Day 2018.
Congratulations to the 2022 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
Winners were scheduled to be recognized at a ceremony May 4, 2022. However, the ceremony had to be canceled due to public health concerns.
Historic Appreciation: Hidden Heritage publication, nominated by the Heritage Society of Oil City
Historic Appreciation: Grove Hill Cemetery Publications and Tours, nominated by the Heritage Society of Oil City
Preservation Stewardship: St. Titus Roman Catholic Church, nominated by the Titusville Historical Society
Reconstruction: The Brundred Carriage House by Roberta and Gerald Kahler and Elizabeth Giuseffi, nominated by Ron Gustafson of Gustafson General Contracting
Historic Appreciation: Lynn Cressman, nominated by Titusville Renaissance, Inc.
Preservation Stewardship: Olive Vault, Homegrown Kitchen, and Coffee in Between for their building at 1247 Liberty St., Franklin, nominated by Venango County Historical Society
Preservation Stewardship: Barr’s Insurance for its building at 257 Seneca St., Oil City, nominated by Oil City Main Street Program
The 2021 Historic Preservation Awards ceremony is available to view through the link below.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, awards were not given in 2020.
Congratulations to the 2019 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
Winners Recognized on May 16, 2019 at First Baptist Church in Franklin, PA
Historic Appreciation: The Derrick/The News-Herald, Out of the Archives Series
Preservation Education/Initiative: Juliet Hilburn, Ridgway Cemetery, Hydetown
Enhancement: Keystone Community Educational Council, offices in National Transit Building, Oil City
Reconstruction: Missy’s Arcade Restaurant, 116 Diamond St., Titusville
Adaptive Reuse: Oil Region Alliance, 229 Elm St., Oil City
Preservation Stewardship: St. James Memorial Episcopal Church, 112 E. Main St., Titusville
Preservation Stewardship: St. John Episcopal Church, 1145 Buffalo St., Franklin
Adaptive Reuse: Titusville Iron Works, Franklin Street, Titusville
Congratulations to the 2018 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
Winners Recognized on May 19, 2018 at Pleasantville Presbyterian Church in Pleasantville, PA
Enhancement Project: Love, INC
For their building at 220 West Central Avenue in Titusville which was originally a furniture factory/millwork plant c. 1882. The ground floor was severely damaged by a semi-truck in 2017. After the accident the building was repaired to more closely resemble its 19th century appearance.
Structure: Archway at Hasson Park in Oil City
The Heritage Society of Oil City was recognized for the new archway that they installed at Hasson Park in Oil City. Land for the the park was donated in 1895 and the original arch was designed in 1911-1912 and installed in 1913. The years took their toll, so the Heritage Society of Oil City decided to install a new arch at the entrance. They worked with local contractors to fabricate a stainless steel frame and letters. All funding was provided by individuals, charitable trusts and fraternal organizations. The new archway was dedicated in 2015.
Preservation Stewardship: Christ Episcopal Church
The Christ Episcopal Church was constructed in 1886. It is a Gothic Revival masterpiece located at 16 Central Avenue in Oil City. For more than 130 years the church has served the community and its members have lovingly cared for the building.
Reconstruction: Ross Ruot and Matt Huber
After a ruinous fire in March, 2015 the building at 112 West Spring Street in Titusville sat idle for more than 18 months. The neglect was palpable and demolition was viewed as a definite possibility. Then Ross Ruot and Matt Huber purchased the property and began an ambitious plan to repair and restore both floors of this Victorian Italiante gem. They salvaged items from period-correct buildings (oftentimes from other Titusville properties) including doors, windows and hardware and created a showplace that is a true asset to the community. The ground floor will be a retail shop known as “Stonehouse Jack” that specializes in furniture – both new and vintage, art, home accessories, and giftware.
Preservation Education/Initiative: Mr. and Mrs. James Ashbaugh
Jim and Rachel moved to Franklin 20 years ago and purchased a Victorian home at 1428 Elk Street. They rehabilitated that home (and have generously opened it to tours) while also volunteering many hours of their busy lives for the Historic Franklin Preservation Association, Venango County Historical Society, DeBence Antique Music World, and the Oil Region Alliance.
Preservation Education/Initiative: Titusville Renaissance, Inc. (TRI)
This volunteer revitalization organization and state-funded Main Street Program was formed in 1992. State funding ended in 1997 and the city of Titusville ended its support in 2010, but the volunteers’ commitment continues. TRI works with a variety of partners to accomplish its goals including the installation of a Victorian-style street clock and benches in downtown Titusville, restoration of a historic fountain in Scheide Park, “Welcome to Titusville” signage installation of a heritage mural on the Towne Square building, development, installation and maintenance of gateways at the city’s entrances and much more.
Previous Winners of Oil Heritage Region Historic Preservation Awards
Winners Recognized on May 20, 2017 at First Presbyterian Church in Titusville, PA
Enhancement Project – Henderson Electric
For the three adjacent buildings at 206, 208 & 210 West Central Avenue in Titusville, PA.
Adaptive Reuse & Enhancement Project – Oil Valley Real Estate Partnership
For the building at 339 West Spruce Street in Titusville, PA that now houses Oil Valley Internal Medical Associates. It was built in the 1800’s and was used first as a factory producing soap. Through the years it has been used as a canoe factory, grocery warehouse and wallpaper retail store. It originally had three stories, but one was removed after a fire in the 1960’s.
Preservation Stewardship – PennDOT District 1-0
For the rehabilitation of the Center Street Bridge in Oil City, PA. The bridge, built in 1939, has a 172′ steel arch and is one of only two in Pennsylvania with this exact design.
Preservation Stewardship – Titusville YWCA
The headquarters of the non-profit Titusville YWCA is located at 201 North Franklin Street in Titusville, PA, in a home they acquired in 1917 for $1. The Italianate structure was originally built as a private residence in 1864.
Structure – Historic Franklin Preservation Association
The Civil War Monument in Bandstand Park in downtown Franklin, PA was deteriorating and needed repair. Historic Franklin prepared a preservation plan, raised the necessary funds and then proceeded with the restoration.
Reconstruction – Oil Region Alliance
The Oil Region Alliance purchased the home of Ida Tarbell and her family in 2007. The Oil Region Alliance conducted a 10-phase rehabilitation of the home, restoring it to its appearance during the years 1870 – 1918.
2016 Winners Presented on May 21, 2016 at Trinity United Methodist Church in Oil City, PA.
Enhancement Project – Oil City Masonic Hall Association
For their lodge at 15 East First Street in Oil City. The lodge celebrated its 150th Anniversary in March this year.
Preservation Stewardship – Dr. and Mrs. Gary Hawk
For their home at 318 West Main Street in Titusville. The classic Queen Anne home was built c. 1893.
Enhancement Project – Cory and Sarah Masterson
For their apartment building at 1201 Chestnut Street in Franklin, PA.
Preservation Stewardship – Reno United Methodist Church
Karen Kostur is the pastor of this 100+ year old church that was built with donated materials and funds raised by the Ladies Aid Society.
Enhancement Project – Carpenters Corner Antiques
Emery and Terry Fiely improved their building at 101 South Franklin Street in Titusville after it was severely damaged by fire in 2015.
Enhancement Project – Ross C. Ruot and Matt Huber
The Gothic Revival house at what is now known as 412 West Main Street in Titusville was built c. 1874-1875.
Adaptive Reuse – Egbert-Mullins-Koos House
The stately house at 307 South Park Street in Franklin had been the residence of Caroline “Kitty” Koos. It has been adapted as the new headquarters of the Venango County Historical Society.
Preservation Stewardship – The Belles Lettres Club
For their clubhouse at 405 West Street in Oil City. Attorney Henry McSweeney donated his 2.5 story Queen Anne style home to the ladies group in 1923.
Preservation Initiative – William B. Moore, Esq.
Bill has served the Crawford County Historical Society for more than 40 years and the Titusville Historical Society for more than 20 years. He has written books on Titusville oil families and is a respected historian.
Young Preservation Leadership Award
A special award was needed to recognize Jessica Hilburn of Titusville, PA, since she exemplifies why everyone should get involved and speak up to protect the past and therefore the future. She is a fine example for area youth.
2015 Winners Presented on May 14, 2015 at Drake Well Museum in Titusville, PA.
Residence – Lawrence and Shirley Riley
For the William T. Scheide house at 214 West Main Street in Titusville. It was built in 1884 and has 4,700 square feet of living space including 17 rooms and eight fireplaces.
Enhancement Project – Leon and Kathy Kulinski
For the Shields Building at 207 Center Street and 212 Sycamore Street (yes, two separate addresses!) in downtown Oil City.
Adaptive Reuse – DeBence Antique Music World
For the third floor of the DeBence Antique Music World in downtown Franklin, PA.
Preservation Stewardship – Kenneth Nichols for Bunyan’s Building
It’s believed that this Italiante style structure at 144 Diamond Street in Titusville was built in 1892.
Residence – Dale and Kathy Wilson
For the work that they have performed on their home located at 1242 Elk Street in Franklin.
Enhancement Project – Janet Clinger
For the exterior work performed on the Yellow Dog Lantern Restaurant at 218 Elm Street in Oil City.
Preservation Stewardship – Plumer United Methodist Church
The church was built in 1910 in the small community of Plumer and is still used each week by the active congregation.
Preservation Stewardship – St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church
The church, located at 35 Pearl Avenue in Oil City, was dedicated in 1894. Its iconic twin 170′ steeples are topped with 14′ high crosses which are lighted and visible from a distance.
2014 Winners Presented on May 8, 2014 at Bromley’s Hillhurst Bed & Breakfast in Titusville, PA.
Preservation Stewardship – Hydetown Borough
For the continued maintenance of the Ridgway Cemetery near the Hydetown Borough municipal building.
Enhancement Project – Second Presbyterian Church in Oil City
For the restoration of the bell tower and the front of the church building located at the corner of Reed and West First Streets in Oil City.
Preservation Stewardship – David & Helen Heinzer
For the General Willis Hulings House located at 114 Moran Street in Oil City.
Reconstruction – Pleasantville Presbyterian Church
The church installed a new slate roof, a new bell tower platform and mount. The 1870 bell is rung each Sunday morning.
Adaptive Reuse – The Latonia Theatre & Ballroom
This historic building, built in 1928 and located at 1 East First Street in Oil City, features a grand ballroom with perhaps the country’s tallest Art Deco chandelier.
Preservation Stewardship – Brad and Heather Schmader & J.L. Love
For the Johnstone House. It is located at 502 North Washington Street in Titusville.
Preservation Stewardship – Barbara Gardner
For the Wood-Mitchell-Smith House which is located at 424 East Main Street in Titusville, PA.
2013 Winners Presented on May 22, 2013 at the First Presbyterian Church in Titusville, PA.
Preservation Stewardship – Franklin Public Library
For the recently completed window and door project. The building was constructed in 1849 as a private residence and renovated and opened in 1922 as a subscription library.
Enhancement Project – C & S Hilltop Hardware
For preserving and restoring the bell from the Heber School near Franklin. The school was in use in the mid 1940′s.
Structure – PennDOT District 1-0
For the preservation and relocation of the McKinney Arch. The concrete arch was built in 1924.
Adaptive Reuse – Mr. & Mrs. Jay C. Parsons
For the new category, “Adaptive Reuse” for their adaptation of Oil City Firehouse No. 4 to become their personal residence.
Reconstruction – Pleasantville Free Methodist Church
For the reconstruction of the church’s sanctuary and foyer areas. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Preservation Stewardship – Mr. & Mrs. Richard W. Roeder
For the care and restoration of their home in Titusville. It was built by William H. Abbott in 1870.
Preservation Initiative – Myrna Wescoat
For her gentle but effective leadership of the Titusville Historical Society.
Structure – Venango College of Clarion University
For the preservation of the West End Pond in Oil City, which is adjacent to Venango College. The pond dates to the 1800′s.
2012 Winners Presented on May 17, 2012 at Christ United Methodist Church in Franklin, PA.
Preservation Stewardship – Electralloy Corporation
For the restoration of the Oil City Armory at the corner of State and East First Streets in Oil City.
Preservation Stewardship – James L. Love
For the Prudential Insurance Office at 103 West Main Street in Titusville.
Preservation Stewardship – Lynne R. Stover
For the Titus Ridgway House at 12558 Main Street in Hydetown.
Preservation Stewardship – Rev. Martha Ishman, Pastor
For the St. James Episcopal Church at 112 East Main Street in Titusville.
Structure – Titusville Woodlawn Corporation
For the restoration of the Drake Memorial at Woodlawn Cemetery on Route 8 North of Titusville.
Preservation Initiative – William “Bill” Black of Franklin
For conducting and promoting archaeological digs to research the history of our area and also for organizing the Venango County Archaeological Society.
2011 Winners Presented on May 11, 2011 at Asbury Hall at Grace United Methodist Church in Oil City, PA.
Rehabilitation & Enhancement – AmaZing Foods Catering Company
Judy Susi Grandelis and Henry Grandelis, owners. This home located at 1327 Elk Street in Franklin was built in the early 1900’s.
Preservation Stewardship – Grace United Methodist Church
Rev. Byron Myers, Pastor. Located at 100 Central Avenue on Oil City’s South Side, this church was built in 1892.
Reconstruction – Liberty Galleria
Franklin Moving Forward, Inc., owner. The Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce partnered with the Franklin Industrial and Commercial Development Authority to purchase a vacant building at 1255 Liberty Street in Franklin to be used as an incubator for new business development.
Preservation Initiative – Robert Billingsley
Bob Billingsley’s love of local history has led to extensive research about the County’s iron furnaces. The results were published onto two DVD’s which are now offered for sale at the Venango County Historical Society.
Rehabilitation of Residence – James P. & Ida Butterworth Thomas House
Dr. James B. and Jane L. Wilkens, owners. This grand old home is located at 224 West Main Street in Titusville and has had only four owners since it was constructed in 1890.
Restoration of Residence – The James B. Robbins House
Tim and Amy Chaney, owners. This grand old home at 901 Elk Street in Franklin was constructed in 1904.
Reconstruction – The Old Emlenton Mill
Paul and Nancy Newbury, owners. In 1875 the Old Emlenton Mill was built at 201 Main Street as a steam-powered grist mill. It ran for 100 years, and then sat vacant for 25+ years. Volunteers helped to reconstruct it so that now it can be used for art classes, an antique shop, an ice cream shop, and a hostel for bicyclists, canoeists, and group retreats.
Preservation Stewardship – The Commons at Franklin.
This Queen Anne style building located at 1340 Liberty Street was originally constructed in 1887 as a private residence. Two years later it became a private social club more recently known as “The Franklin Club.” It has been restored and renamed “The Commons at Franklin.”
Rehabilitation of Residence – The Fertig House
Robert Dahle, owner. This Italianate style home at 602 East Main Street in Titusville was built c. 1873 by John Fertig. It had been home to the President of the University until 1986 but then sat vacant for many years and was scheduled to be torn down and salvaged when purchased and restored by Robert Dahle.
2010 Winners presented on May 24, 2010 at Perry Street Station in Titusville, PA.
Preservation Stewardship – St. Michael the Archangel Parish
For the long-term stewardship in the care of the church located in Emlenton
Reconstruction – Keith & Beth Bromley
For the reconstruction of Bromley’s Hillhurst Bed & Breakfast located at 701 North Perry Street in Titusville
Enhancement – Keith & Beth Bromley
For the porch on their personal residence at 518 North Perry Street in Titusville
Enhancement – Vantage Health Care
For the exterior rehabilitation of their Franklin facility located at 13th and Liberty Streets
Preservation Stewardship – The Haskell family
For the long-term stewardship in the care of the W.H. Abbot House located at 215 West Main Street in Titusville
2009 Winners presented on May 9, 2009 at the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville during the Tenth Annual Victorian Architecture and its Preservation Conference.
Preservation Stewardship – Trinity United Methodist Church
For the long term stewardship in the preservation and care of the church at 2 Center Street in Oil City.
Residence – Saeed and Ambrin Dubas
For the restoration of their residence at 501 North Perry Street in Titusville.
Preservation Initiative – Kathy Newson
For her 30+ years of service to the Titusville Historical Society and for researching information for a book on Titusville’s first cemetery “Pioneer Park.”
Residence – John & Nicole Phillips
For the preservation and enhancement of the exterior of their home at 1504 Liberty Street in Franklin.
Preservation Initiative – Dr. Chris and Lauren Wigton
For the reconstruction of the building at 1200 Buffalo Street in Franklin that is now known as the Corner Cupboard Bulk Food and Deli
Preservation Stewardship – Kathy Coffaro
For the restoration of the Connely-Holeman House at 317 Chestnut Street in Pleasantville
Residence – Dale and Celia Adams
For the preservation and rehabilitation of the Howland-Adams House at 219 North Brown Street in Titusville
2008 Winners presented April 10, 2008 at the Barrow-Civic Little Theatre in Franklin
Reconstruction – Daryl O. & Dianna J. Hicks
For their reconstruction of the DayDia Building at 228 Seneca Street in Oil City
Residence Restoration – John “Skip” and Suzanne Homan
For the restoration of their residence at 304 Orange Street in Oil City
Preservation Initiative – Robert J. Finch, of Franklin
For a lifetime of service in the preservation of the history of the local area
Preservation Stewardship – Timothy & Michelle Hartle
For the rehabilitation of their home and the Hartle Funeral Home in Franklin
Preservation Initiative – Lynn Cochran
For her initiative as Chair of the Preservation Committee and especially for her efforts on behalf of the Oil Region Alliance in the acquisition of the Tarbell House in Titusville
2007 Winners presented May 16, 2007 at DeBence Antique Music World
Reconstruction — Rev. Robert Guy, Pastor, Barkeyville Church of God
For the restoration of the former Barkeyville Academy
Residence Restoration — Duane and Wendy Sheatz
For the work on their home at 1040 Elk Street in Franklin
Preservation Initiative — Wendell E. Schwab
For the work underway restoring and then furnishing the former Kapp School House in Pinegrove Township
Preservation Stewardship — Bob and Kathy Grossman
For the work on their residence and the other apartments in their building at 207 South Park Street in Franklin
Reconstruction — Farmers National Bank
For the rehabilitation of the bank headquarters building at 612 Main Street in Emlenton
Honorable Mention for Rehabilitation of a Structure — Allegheny Valley Trails Association
For the innovative work on the Sandy Creek Tunnel in Venango County along the East Sandy Trail, involving building a smaller tunnel inside the original and lining the gap between with recycled tires
Honorable Mention for Preservation Initiative — County of Venango
For the interior restoration and enhancements of Court Room #1 of the Venango County Courthouse on Elk Street in Franklin
2006 Winners presented May 4, 2006 at Titusville Towne Square
Initiative — Ronnie Beith, Penny Minnick, and Joyce Neidich of Franklin
For the Franklin Walking Tour Brochure
Initiative involving Youth — Darlene Fescenmyer
For her instruction of Christian Life Academy students at Seneca in the art of stained glass construction and repair
Reconstruction — Bob and Sandy Fry
For Short Street Motor Cars building at 119 East First Street in Oil City
Residence — Gary and Sandy Baker
For the work on their home at 504 Fifteenth Street in Franklin
Rehabilitation — Titusville Redevelopment Authority
For the work on Titusville Towne Square at the intersection of West Spring Street and South Franklin Street in Titusville
2005 Winners presented May 2, 2005 at Drake Well Museum
Enhancement — Faith Holiness Church
For exterior work at 1101 Buffalo Street in Franklin
Initiative — James Moltz of Oil City and Don Heeter of Venus
For the documentation and restoration work at cemeteries and iron furnaces throughout Venango County
Initiative — Lynn Pacior-Malys of Oil City
For multiple preservation projects involving artwork, historic buildings, and commemoration of projects throughout the Oil Heritage Region
Initiative — David Weber of Pleasantville
For researching, documenting, and writing histories of historic buildings, events, people, and companies throughout the Oil Heritage Region
Reconstruction — Amy Whitehill
For work on Amy’s Closet at 203 Main Street in Emlenton
Honorable Mention for Reconstruction — Regis Brick
For the work on Brick’s Antiques at 5434 Pittsburgh Road in Barkeyville
Honorable Mention for Reconstruction — Mike and Cathy Irwin
For the exterior and interior work on Bluegill Graphix (former synagogue) at 318 North Franklin Street in Titusville
Structure — Brian T. Best of Emlenton
For work restoring the Beringer Cemetery
2004 Winners presented May 10, 2004 at Drake Well Museum
Reconstruction — James E. Thomas
For the work on the Brundred-Thomas Bed & Breakfast at 315 West First Street in Oil City
Reconstruction — Thomas and Kelly Sauber
For the work on the interior of Four Sons Brewery Restaurant at 113 South Franklin Street in Titusville
Historic Structure — Grove Hill Cemetery Association
For the gate and fence enhancements at 131 Cedar Avenue in Oil City
Preservation Stewardship — Emanuel Lutheran Church at 220 West Elm Street in Titusville; and Arthur W. Carlson, III, Supervising Professional
For exterior and interior work on this building
Preservation Stewardship — First United Methodist Church at 1100 Liberty Street in Franklin; and Scott Greene, Supervising Professional
For exterior and interior on this building
Preservation Initiative — Bureau of Forestry, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
For restored Oil Engine House in Kennerdell Tract of the Clear Creek State Forest in Venango County
Preservation Initiative — Lois S. Minnigh of Franklin
For multiple historic building, vintage clothing, historic preservation events, and projects concentrated in Franklin
2003 Awards presented April 24, 2003 in the Quality Inn at Franklin
Historic Structure — County of Venango
For decking Dotter Road Bridge
Residence — Glenn and Linda Grose
For work on their home at 2386 Millbrook Road, Kennerdell in Irwin Township
Enhancement — Terry and Charlene Ruot
For exterior rehabilitation of Charter Plastics, Inc. multiple buildings in Titusville
Reconstruction — Samuel and Pamela Dockery
For the Galena-Dockery Building at 1140 Liberty Street in Franklin
Preservation Initiative — Richard Castonguay and the Venango Economic Development Corporation
For multiple community revitalization projects incorporating preservation practices throughout Venango County and the Oil Heritage Region
Preservation Initiative — Carolee Michener of Franklin
For multiple research, documentation, writing, and educational projects incorporating the preservation of buildings, historic sites, artifacts, and events throughout the Oil Heritage Region
2002 Winners presented on May 13, 2002 at Drake Well Museum near Titusville, PA
Residence — Dennis and Nancy Clifford
For the work on their home at 415 West Second Street in Oil City, PA
Residence — Emerson Place
For the work on this nursing home building at 701 North Perry Street in Titusville, PA
Residence — T. George and Suzanne G. Ingham
For the work on their home at 309 West First Street in Oil City, PA
Residence — Reed Johnson and daughter Willow Johnson
For the work on their home at 204 West First Street in Oil City, PA
Residence — James and Areta Johnston
For the work on their home at 1152 Elk Street in Franklin, PA
Residence — Dale and Mary K. “Kathy” Wilson
For the work on their home at 1158 Elk Street in Franklin, PA
Residence — William Wilson and George Thompson
For the work on their current law practice office, in a former residence at 1162 Elk Street in Franklin, PA
Enhancement — Cynthia and Mark Hoopes
For the Faded Fence Gift and Antique Shop in a former hardware store at 105 East First Street in Oil City, PA
Enhancement — Stephens Real Estate; at 121 West Spring Street in Titusville
Enhancement — City of Titusville
For Titusville City Hall building at 107 North Franklin Street in Titusville, PA
Preservation Stewardship — William Bowen of Oil City
For multiple projects researching and preserving historic buildings, artifacts, and materials
Preservation Stewardship — First Presbyterian Church; 216 North Franklin Street in Titusville, PA
Preservation Stewardship — St. Stephens Catholic Church and Cemetery; Spring Creek Road in Titusville, PA
Preservation Initiative — Ronald Gustafson of Oil City
For multiple projects by Gustafson General Contracting and the Gustafson family as volunteers involving historic buildings and their preservation
Preservation Initiative — Neil McElwee of Oil City
For multiple projects involving the research, documentation, writing, and presentation of public programs about historic buildings, artifacts, events, and people throughout the Oil Heritage Region
Honorable Mention for Reconstruction — Venango Museum of Art, Science & Industry at 270 Seneca Street in Oil City, PA
For the restoration of the peacock statues from the Latonia Theatre in Oil City
Reconstruction — Oil Heritage Region, Inc., Third Millennium Architects of Oil City, and Gustafson General Contracting of Oil City
For the relocation of the McClintock-Steele-Waitz House (aka Coal Oil Johnny House) to 167 Old Bankston Road in Cornplanter Township
2001 Winners presented April 26, 2001 at The Arlington Hotel in Oil City
Residence — James and Rachel Ashbaugh
For work on their home at 1428 Elk Street in Franklin, PA
Enhancement — Neil and Lois McElwee
For work on their home at 711 West First Street in Oil City, PA called the Alvin Drake Deming House
Enhancement — Gary and Nancy Kingsley
For work on their home at 414 Highland Street in Emlenton, PA
Enhancement — Larry W. Sehman
For work on the exterior of Sehman Tire Service at 606 – 622 Thirteenth Street in Franklin, PA
Reconstruction — Allegheny Valley Trails Association
For work on the Belmar Bridge across the Allegheny River at Belmar near Franklin, PA
Reconstruction — Emlenton Presbyterian Church; Main Street, Emlenton, PA
Reconstruction — St. James Memorial Episcopal Church
For the rehabilitation work including the restoration of the 1909 Austin Organ at 112 East Main Street in Titusville, PA
Reconstruction — Jae Ann Brown
For work on her home, the Charles F. Koos Building on Main Street in Emlenton, PA
Preservation Initiative — Urania Belle “Rainy” Linn of Franklin
For multiple projects involving the preservation of historic buildings, artifacts, vintage clothing, events, and publications about the history of Venango County
2000 Winners presented May 8, 2000 at Drake Well Museum in Titusville, PA
Enhancement — Anderson Furniture Company
For exterior and work at their store at 225 Thirteenth Street in Franklin, PA
Enhancement — Joseph Brozeski of Oil City
For exterior work on both Pastel Music and the Pierogi Palace at 15 Spring Street in Oil City, PA
Initiative — Joan Search Hanson of Franklin
For extensive work researching, documenting, and writing about historic buildings, families, genealogies, public records, events, and companies in Franklin
Residence — William and Sonja Hawkins
For work on their home at 305 West Fourth Street in Oil City, PA, known as the Innis House
1999 Winners presented May 10, 1999 at Drake Well Museum in Titusville, PA
Enhancement — Arthur A. and Jane Covell
For work on their home at 211 West First Street in Oil City
Honorable Mention for Enhancement — Barrow Civic Theatre; 1223 Liberty Street in Franklin, PA
Honorable Mention for Enhancement — Oil City Civic Center, Inc.
For work on the National Transit Building at 206 Seneca Street in Oil City, PA
Initiative — Vision Quest based in Franklin
For significant volunteer assistance to multiple historic preservation projects throughout the Oil Heritage Region
Initiative — Joanne Long Wagner of Clarion
For multiple projects involving the preservation of historic buildings, artifacts, vintage clothing, historic sites, events, and companies in the Emlenton area
Reconstruction — Gene and Donna Best of Nickleville
For the work on the Red Brick Inn Bed & Breakfast
Residence — Bill and Kathy Goetz
For work on their home at 1339 Otter Street in Franklin, PA
Stewardship — City of Titusville and the Board of Directors for Woodlawn Cemetery in Titusville
For ongoing stewardship for the overall Woodlawn Cemetery and especially the Drake Memorial
1998 Winners presented April 27, 1998 at The Franklin Club in Franklin, PA
Initiative — Cemetery Records Committee of the Venango County Historical Society based in Franklin
For documenting and publishing multiple books about cemeteries throughout Venango County
Initiative — Scott McMasters of Franklin
For ongoing preservation work individually and as a leader of scouts and other volunteers at the site of the lock on the French Creek Slackwater Canal System in Sugarcreek Borough
Initiative — Guy Slaughtenhupt of Franklin
For work researching and presenting programs about historic buildings, events, and people in Franklin, PA
Stewardship — First Baptist Church
For the exterior and interior work on the church building and parsonage at 1041 Liberty Street in Franklin, PA
1997 Winners presented May 12, 1997 at Drake Well Museum in Titusville, PA
Enhancement — Visiting Nurses Association of Venango County
For work on their headquarters building on Seneca Street in Oil City (former office of National Fuel Gas Company)
Honorable Mention for Enhancement — Christ Episcopal Church; 16 Central Avenue in Oil City, PA
Honorable Mention for Enhancement — River Ridge Farm in Cranberry Township
For restoration of the gatehouse located off Bredinsburg Road near Franklin, PA
Honorable Mention for Enhancement — Oil City Library and the City of Oil City
For work on the Oil City Library at 2 Central Avenue in Oil City, PA
Initiative — John Cenedella of Franklin
For volunteer efforts to preserve the Bredinsburg Cemetery in Cranberry Township near Franklin, PA.
Initiative — Betty McElhattan of Franklin
For multiple projects involving the preservation of historic buildings, artifacts, events, and structures (such as fountains) throughout Franklin, PA
Initiative — Samuel T. Pees of Meadville
For multiple projects involving the research, documentation, writing, and presentation of public programs about oil history sites, oil field equipment, artifacts, people, events, companies, and historic sites throughout the Oil Heritage Region
Reconstruction — Thompson’s Drug Store; 105 South Franklin Street in Titusville, PA
Reconstruction — Galaxy Federal Credit Union; 1313 Liberty Street in Franklin, PA
Residence — Frank and Phyllis Weltner; for work on their home at 1421 Elk Street in Franklin, pA
Stewardship — National City Bank in Titusville
For the ongoing preservation of the exterior and interior of this branch at 127 West Spring Street in Titusville, PA especially the interior ceiling mural depicting oil history